Women Veterans Health Care
Diabetes is a serious health issue that affects women. Of the 25.6 million adults with diabetes in the United States in 2010, 12.6 million were women. Women with diabetes have a shorter life expectancy than women without diabetes, and death rates for women aged 25-44 years with diabetes are more than 3 times the rate for women without diabetes.(CDC)
VA can help women Veterans with both prevention and management of diabetes. There are ways to reduce your risk of acquiring Type 2 diabetes, the most common type of diabetes. If you already have diabetes, there are ways to prevent and manage the health problems associated with diabetes.
Reduce Your Risk:
- Reach and maintain a healthy body weight
- Eat wisely by limiting total sugar, salt, fat, and alcohol
- Be physically active every day – Aim for at least 2 1/2 hours of moderate-intensity aerobic activity each week
If you have diabetes, there are ways to reduce your risk of developing diabetes-related health problems.
- Quit smoking
- Test your blood sugar
- Monitor your blood pressure and lipid levels
- Take medications as directed
- Eat wisely
- Limit the amount of carbohydrates you eat at one time
- Eat foods low in saturated fat and cholesterol
- Eat fiber, including vegetables and whole grains
- Be active
- Keep your appointments with your health care provider
Talk to your primary care provider or Women Veterans Program Manager for more information, and check out the resources below.
Women Veterans Program Managers: All VA medical centers have a Women Veterans Program Manager to help women Veterans access VA benefits and health care services. To find the VA medical center nearest you, call 1-877-222-8387 or visit VA Research on Diabetes (Office of Research and Development)
Women Veterans Call Center: VA Women Veterans can call 1-855-VA-WOMEN (1-855-829-6636) to ask questions about available VA services and resources.Want to know more? Check out VA's dedicated resources for Women Veterans:
Women Veteran Call Center
Download free viewer and reader software to view PDF, video and other file formats.
*By clicking on these links, you will leave the Department of Veterans Affairs Web site.
†VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked Web site.